Thursday, February 17, 2011

~ Snowbird: Two Dresses ~


The snapshots below shouldn't be one bit surprising if you know me (admirer of all things throw-back), or if you happened to catch my post last week on the (albeit glorified) dream of Palm Springs I've always had. Staying true to both myself and that vision, I whipped up a few simple dresses to wear for a small shoot with my mom, Jani, this last Saturday!

As a beginning sewist (and having only a few days before heading south), I modified a basic tank top pattern for the first number, raising the neckline and lengthening it to a fitted knee-length. As with most fabric that whispers of dinner party sofas or glitzy drapes, I couldn't resist buying a few discounted yards of the minty/silver floral fabric below.





Coat: Shola's bin find, purchased at Pop-Up Shoppe #1

Sunglasses: AO Flexi-fit from Magpie Vintage
Shoes: Urban Outfitters (holiday sale!)
Earrings: Sabi & Friends Vintage
Clutch: Sabi & Friends Vintage

I'm afraid to admit I seriously winged this longer evening gown by draping a few simple layers of fabric underneath and on top of a strapless brassiere (anyone who knows anything about dress-making is probably cringing as they read this). I left the bottom un-hemmed, which was kind of fun, and brought the waist in with a thin strip of the same discount Missoni fabric.






Bracelet: German family heirloom from m.i.l. Karin
Coat: Sabi & Friends Christmas gift from Kel
Sunglasses: Raybans (look familiar, Kel?)
Earrings: Bella Norte Vintage
Necklace: old family gem
Shoes: Urban Outfitters
Clutch: old family gem

I can't remember the last time my pasty complexion felt the delicious sun for more than a minute or two, and it was a real hoot prancing around the backyard striking cheeky poses with my mom, the always-talented-and-too-much-fun lady that she is. Kelty further vintage-ized the shots with her sweet editing skills, and there you have it. My first two dresses ala Palm Springs.

The rest of the weekend was spent doing nothing whatsoever, like partnering up on cross-word puzzles at the kitchen table, walking Lulu around the block, ogling too-cute-for-words nephews & nieces, cheering a JV bball game announced by my dad, eating delicious homemade tortilla soup, and looking through old family photos.

Missing "the kids" already, and looking forward to seeing them again very soon in the city of my dreams.