Tuesday, March 8, 2011

~ The Getaway Part II: A Maxi Skirt ~


Have you seen John Houston's Night of The Iguana? Starring Richard Burton, Ava Gardner and Deborah Kerr, the 1964 film description says, "A defrocked Episcopal clergyman leads a bus-load of middle-aged Baptist women on a tour of the Mexican coast and comes to terms with the failure haunting his life." 

Sounds like a real hoot, right? Well apparently the set they built from scratch in the little pueblo of Mismaloya still exists! Alex and I trekked a few miles into town and investigated the abandoned set, situated on the water with a lovely view of the bay.

My height has made it virtually impossible to find a true maxi skirt over the years, so I made one using Missoni knit fabric and an elastic waistband. With the late morning sun hitting the set in a dramatic fashion only Tennessee Williams {the screenwriter} could conjure up, I tooled around in my new skirt on the old set.


It was refreshing to take extravagant liberties in the length department this time, but I'll likely shorten the train a bit when I get home for day-to-day practicality {and fall prevention}.  =)